firstname.lastname@example.org 705-286-BUGS (2847)
- Locate the nest - this may be more difficult than it sounds. There are many species of bees and wasps in cottage country and each constructs a different kind of nest.
- Timing is everything. Bees and wasps return to their nest in late afternoon so dealing with it early evening should have the greatest effect.
- If the nest is knocked down, any survivors will work to re-build it. If the nest is left in place and there are any survivors, they will start a new colony. If you're trying to get rid of them, you must do so completely.
- Read the label of whatever product you're using. Most 'over the counter' bee and wasp solutions will need to contact each insect in order to kill it, so you'll need a lot.
- We must caution against sealing cracks in brick or foundation that wasps are spotted in. They have strong jaws and may chew their way through your drywall in an attempt to escape. Make sure the colony is eliminated before any sealing takes place.
- There are numerous traps available to collect bee/wasp colonies. If luring wasps, place a bit of vinegar in the bait to deter honeybees.
- Wasp deterrents that look like a large paper nest are effective if put up early in the season. If wasps are already building a nest, you won't deter them by reacting with a deterrent.
- Make sure your chimney is covered - they're a favourite of honeybees in particular and all that honey attracts other pests like milkshakes bring boys to the yard.
The first step with bees is knowing what you're dealing with. Bees, including bumble bees, are beneficial pollinators and typically are very reluctant to sting. Check out our bee page for help figuring out if it's a bee or a wasp.
Beneficial as bees are, we get it if you're allergic and don't want them on your property. If allergies are a concern, DIY tactics are not recommended. It just isn't worth the risk. If you think they are honeybees please call as we would prefer to save them.
If you're not allergic just prepare to get stung. You're trying to destroy their home...they tend not to like that very much.